Planet Baobab, Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, Botswana
A Lodge or Hotel in Botswana
Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, Botswana
Per Person Per Night
A member of the
Planet Baobab is in the region of Botswana’s mysterious Makgadikgadi Pans, which was once the largest expanse of fresh water on the planet. Today, it’s a vast, salt-pan desert of shimmering sand and surreal landscapes so vast you can see the curvature of the earth. It’s a harsh and sparse landscape, but one that’s beautiful in its desolation. Here, perhaps more than anywhere else in the world, you’ll be struck by a feeling of utter, marvellous, isolation.
The rooms are quirky, cool and super comfy. Scattered beneath a fraternity of colossal baobabs, the 18 thatched huts (eight Bakalanga, seven Baobab and three Bakalanga Family) take more than a little inspiration from the local Botswana villages, and all are arranged in friendly clusters. Vibrant murals adorn the outside walls and inside, you’ll find sunny patchwork quilts and a variety of eclectic trinkets that won’t fail to make you smile. Twin huts have two beds on either side of the room, family huts have a large double bed in the centre with twin beds on either side, and all have ensuite bathrooms. If you’re taking things a little easier on the pocket there’s also a selection of camping spaces with shared bathroom facilities, and a shady campsite with the best ablutions in Botswana, fact!
WHY CHOOSE PLANET BAOBAB?
- Experience the vast remoteness of the Makgadikgadi Pans and Kalahari Desert, a place of endless horizons and four-thousand-year-old inverted trees.
- The camp itself has been voted as one of the top 10 most extraordinary places to stay in the world by Lonely Planet – and quite rightly so!
- Enjoy a variety of awesome activities, from baobab bushwalks, to quad bike expeditions and game drives in the spectacular Nxai Pan.
- Shake off the heat of the day and the dust of the desert in the largest, coolest swimming pool in the Kalahari.
- Spend some time with the local Batswana people and learn a little about the way of life in this extraordinary part of the world.
Planet Baobab Rates, Activities & Amenities
|2019||10 January - 31 March||Bakalanga Twin Hut||US $ 94|
|2019||01 April - 14 Jun; 01 November - 19 December||Bakalanga Twin Hut||US $ 96|
|2019||15 June - 31 October; 20 December - 09 January||Bakalanga Twin Hut||US $ 115|
|2019||01 August - 31 August||Bakalanga Twin Hut||US $ 118|
Rates are Per Person Per Night unless otherwise specified.
Planet Baobab rates include: Food & beverages, guest laundry, daily activities, expert guiding, transfers, gratuities.
Children of all ages are welcome at Planet Baobab.
Hiking / Trekking
Hotel Planet Baobab, Gweta, Botswana
Read Planet Baobab Reviews TripAdvisor Here
Recommended Camps Nearby
View all accommodation options in Botswana »