Visit one of the most remote places on earth: Dallol in Northern Ethiopia, surrounded by peaks of salt mountains and other incredible land formations. Explore the rock-hewn churches of Tigray, historical marvels in themselves. This group tour allows you to see Ethiopia the way it was meant to be.
per person sharing
10 days / 9 nights
- Day Notes: Depending upon your arrival time, you may choose to do an Addis city tour this day.
D2 MORNING FLIGHT TO MAKELLE, TRANSFER TO HAMEDELA
- Day Notes: Early breakfast at your hotel before transferring to airport for early morning flight to Makelle. Upon arrival to Makelle, you’ll be met by your guide and begin immediately your drive on asphalt road to Hamedela (about four hrs including stops)…
- Day Notes: Breakfast at your camp before driving onto the mineral salt road, 40 km to Dallol which means colorful. The deposits are composed of sulfer, potassium, magnesium and other minerals. Here one encounters salt mountains and other incredible land formations. Return to Hamedela where you’ll relax in the shade for the afternoon. In the evening drive to Lake Asale to watch the sunset while sipping drinks.
- Day Notes: Visit the camel caravans in the morning on the way to Regad (Asebo), the place where the locals mine salt. This area is about 1,200 square km. You will observe the methods by which salt is carved from the ground. Local people cut the salt into rectangular pieces and load it onto their camels…
- Day Notes: Flat walking at the beginning from Agoro Lodge and then begin ascent for about 600 meters before arriving at the flats with a trail to Anaf Guesthouse (3000 m elevation & 3 hr trek)
- Day Notes: Begin by walking on the escarpment before descending to the valley for flat walking. Ascend again up and down with a visit to Eyesus Gohagot rock hewn church. Lunch will be…
- Day Notes: After breakfast begin trek. Walk the escarpment for awhile and then gently descend to the valley through local communities before ascending again.
- Day Notes: After breakfast, trek for two to three hrs, first descending from the mountain to the flats of the valley where the trail takes you through rural villages before meeting your pickup vehicle. Drive for about an hour to Gheralta. After lunch discuss…
- Day Notes: This day will be for a couple visitations in Tigray including one of Maryam Korkor or Abuna Yemata.
- Day Notes: Drive to Makelle airport and catch afternoon flight to Addis. You should have time for dinner in Addis Ababa this evening depending on time of international flight.
NOTE: Pricing based on 6 persons travelling together. This tour can be customized for different group sizes and preferences. Please contact us for the full itinerary.