South Omo Tribes
The tribes of the Omo Valley in Southern Ethiopia have some of the most unsual cultural practices in the world, a continuation of their ancient Nilotic pastoralist traditions. On this tour to the remote Southern regions of Ethiopia's valley, you will get first-hand insight into the South Omo tribes.
per person sharing
10 days / 9 nights
- Day Notes: Depending upon your arrival time, you may choose to do an Addis city tour this day.
- Day Notes: After breakfast, drive via the Gurage Highlands and along Lake Abaye to Arbaminch. Spend the night in Paradise Lodge with beautiful views over Nechisar National Park and the two lakes, Abaye and Chamo in the Rift Valley below.
- Day Notes: Travel from Dorze to Turmi, central town of the Hammer people. Monday is market day in Turmi so you if you get there in time, you can visit this interesting Hammer market.
- While in Hammer country, you will visit a Hammer village and experience a Hammer Evening dance (Evangadi). You may also get to attend the optional Hammer Bulljumping ceremony if one occurs for a fee of approximately 450 etb per person.
- Day Notes: Driving excursion to the Omorate people who adorn themselves with natural and man-made ornaments. Be prepared to cross the Omo river by boat or traditional dugout canoe this day to visit a Dasanech settlement. Return to Turmi where you may visit the Dimeka market that will be in full swing when you arrive or other activity as recommended by your tour leader.
- Day Notes: This day, a driving excursion to the Karo people who live on the banks of the Omo River. The Karo are well known for their colorful body painting often simulating the pattern of guineafowl plumage. Upon return to Turmi, an cultural activity in Hammer will be organized depending on what is happening here this day.
- Day Notes: Travel from Turmi to Jinka, the last main town before Mago National Park which is home to the Mursi tribe. On the way to Jinka, stop in Key Afar to explore the Benna market. You will move on from Key Afar to Jinka…
- Day Notes: Travel from Jinka to Mursi to learn about this fascinating people. The Mursi women are famous for their lip plates. The Mursi are quite direct in their ways often making Westerners feel awkward when attempting interaction. Your guide and driver…
- Day Notes: Travel from Jinka to Arbaminch. On the way stop for a market and cultural visit in Gidole.
- Day Notes: Boat safari on Lake Chamo to view the resident hippos, crocodiles and abundant birdlife. Return to Arbaminch for lunch and then proceed up into the Guge Mountains where you’ll visit the Dorze people…
- Day Notes: Drive or fly to Addis Ababa. Option for a day useroom in Addis. After dinner in Addis, transfer to airport for late night international departure.