A Mozambique Island Tour
Dhow sails billowing in the Kusi and Kaskasi trade winds. Soft-sounding names like Quirimba, Arimba, Quisiva and Mefunvo. White, white sands beaches. Snorkelling amid a blaze of colour in pristine coral reefs. Refreshing coconut water. Giant prawns. Turquoise waters hemmed with mangrove forests. Bird sounds easing the mind as the talented fingers of the masseuse ease the body.
per person sharing
8 days / 7 nights
Undisturbed for centuries, the Quirimbas Archipelago in Mozambique is a magical place that has remained off the beaten path for the outside world. Ibo Island is the headquarters of the Quirimbas National Park, the largest marine park in Africa. We call this safari our island-hopping marine safari and it would work well for adventure-minded singles and couples who dream about sailing into the sunrise to visit uninhabited islands, tasting the delicious confluence of Arabian, African and Portuguese cuisine and who want to kick back & relax, but with a bit adventure on the side to spice things up. This is no ordinary beach vacation.
From Pemba, you will transfer to Mucojo and then board a dhow to transfer to Mogundula Island. Known as the Island of the Sacred Lake, it provides beautiful bird watching, pristine swimming off the sandbank beach and excellent snorkelling. You may also take a day trip by dhow to the Pangane Peninsula. Then, depart Mogundula for your exploration south into the archipelago, into the clearest of blue water with pristine corals below to explore under snorkel. The Ulumbwa river mouth beckons and it is here where fascinating rural fishing villages dot the shore. After another day of island hopping come back to Ibo Island Lodge and explore this historical island from your base at this beautifully renovated colonial mansion.
Recommended months of travel: Year-round except for February.
The Chalo Edge
- A waiter and chef will be at your disposal, as will the local dhow crew for explorations to nearby islands and mainland villages
- A 5m x 5m mess tent accommodates guests for meals which are served either sit-down tablecloth style, or more relaxed around the fire with the sand in your toes!
- Flexibility of re-routing this itinerary depending on the wind and weather conditions
- Guided historical tour of Ibo Island
- Bird’s eye view of the islands from a scenic light air flight back to Pemba