Planning a trip to Malawi? And wondering what time of the year is the best time to visit? Malawi is perfect to during the dry season months from May to October. The rest of the year can be rather hot and humid.
When to Go?
Best Time to Visit Malawi
The drier, cooler months of May – October prove to be the best for visiting Malawi, which experiences high temperatures, rainfall, and humidity during the rest of the year, particularly in January and February.
Seasons of Malawi
Broadly speaking, these are the seasons of Malawi:
- Cool and Dry Season: May to August
- Warm and Dry Season: September to October
- Wet Season: November to April
Where to Go in Malawi – Month by Month
- January to February: Hot and humid summer months. Can be avoided. Chances of flooding. Good for birding, especially at Nyika National Park. Orchids come into bloom. Many lodges around Lake Malawi shut down during these months.
- March to April: Rainy season.
- May to August: Peak dry season. Cool temperatures. Best time to view the wildlife of Liwonde National Park and Majete as animals gather around watering holes. August is a wonderful time to visit Lake Malawi with water temperatures comfortable for water sports.
- September to October: Temperatures start to increase to over 40 degrees celcius by October. Still the dry season. Also good wildlife viewing month.
- November to December: Rainy summer months begin. November is a bridge month so you can come across some occasional thunderstorms. The temperatures do get high and by December there can be chances of heavy rains. Good months for birding.
Climate of Malawi
Malawi’s overall climate comprises of a cool season, a hot season, and a rainy season. The coolest months begin in May and conclude in mid-August. The warmer months immediately follow this period, and taper off at the end of November. The rainy months then begin in November and end in April.