The vast majority of travellers require a visa to enter Ethiopia. If you require a visa, you may obtain it either from the nearest embassy or consulate prior to your trip, or you may obtain it upon arrival at Bole International Airport.
Ethiopia also uses the E-Visa system, which allows travelers to apply for visas entirely online, and then receive the visa stamped on their passport upon arrival to the country. Please note that visas are not issued upon arrival at overland border crossings. If you have questions about the visa process, please feel free to contact Chalo Africa or your local Ethiopian embassy or consulate for advice.
List of countries exempt from Ethiopia Visas
Kenya and Djibouti are the only countries whose nationals do not require an Ethiopian visa.
Documents required for an Ethiopia visa
- Recent passport-size photograph
- A completed visa application form
We recommend that you verify the above details on the Ethiopia E-Visa Page
The New Ethiopia E-Visa
Please refer the following requirements for Ethiopian eVISA.
- e-Visa application fees are not refundable.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date you intend to enter Ethiopia.
- A passport size photo and scanned copy of the passport is required.
- Currently we are issuing single entry tourist visas only.
- Currently, we allow travelers with e-Visa to enter Ethiopia via Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. Entry via other ports of entry is not allowed.
- The validity of Ethiopian e-Visa starts from the date you intend to enter Ethiopia, and not from the date of issue.
- If you are not national of the countries listed as ‘Eligible countries’ or ‘Country of Residence’ and you claim that you have permanent residence permit in one of these countries, you are required to upload the residence permit while submitting your application and you must show it to the Immigration officers on your arrival at the entry point.
Ethiopia Visa requirements for US citizens
United States citizens require a visa to enter Ethiopia. US citizens are eligible to apply for an Ethiopia eVisa.
Ethiopia Visa requirements for Indian citizens
Citizens of India require a visa to enter Ethiopia. Indian citizens are eligible to apply for an Ethiopia eVisa.