San Camp, Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, Botswana
A Luxury Tented Camp in Botswana
Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, Botswana
Per Person Per Night
A member of the
The real allure of San Camp is in its minimalism, and this extends to the surroundings. San sits at the edge of the mysterious Makgadikgadi Salt Pans (overlooking Nwetwe Pan to be precise), in the heart of the Kalahari Desert and adjoining the Makgadikgadi National Park. The pans were once a super lake covering most of Botswana, and they shimmer seemingly never-ending all the way to the horizon, interrupted only by scattering of desert palms and baobabs. The beautiful nothingness brings with it a cathartic sense of silence, and there is truly nowhere on else like this magical corner of Botswana.
Think enormous four-posters, draped in crisp cotton and feather-soft blankets, raised high above Persian rugs. Mahogany writing desks and leather armchairs contrast the rugged surroundings, and there’s a lazy day bed just outside, perfect for an afternoon of view-gazing. Ensuite bathrooms have hot, running water showers and flush loos, and there’s plenty of water in the elegant copper jugs and basins. The entire camp runs on solar-power and when darkness falls, you’ll find lanterns scattered around to light the way.
At the main area, the open-sided pavilions are bright and breezy – and let that view do the talking! Gather in the splendid mess tent for a three-course feast, accompanied by white linen and crystal glasses, or sink into a cushion in the tea tent and treat yourself to one of the best brownies in the desert. If you can drag your eyes away from the surroundings, take a peek at our natural history cabinets with their eclectic collections of old maps, fossils and artefacts, and then, it’s time to let your mind unwind in the sanctuary of the yoga pavilion. We couldn’t think of a better place to end the day.
WHY CHOOSE SAN CAMP?
- Elegant and impossibly romantic, San Camp’s classic white tents offer 360 degree views over the sparkling salt pans.
- Take game drives and night drives in custom built 4x4s to see the unique desert wildlife, spend time with the cheeky meerkats, and join the Zulhoasi Bushmen on a bush walk.
- Travel across the salt-crusted earth by quad-bike. The fact that you’ll travel at great speed, yet arrive nowhere underlines the true immensity of this remarkable area.
- San Camp has a reputation for delicious and innovative cuisine – think fresh tomato tartlets, three-layer banana and caramel cake, and the best beef Wellington you’ve ever tried.
- Lie out on the pans as the sun sets, and watch the planetarium of stars unfold.
- Retreat to the yoga and meditation pavilion and absorb the compelling energy of your surroundings. This is the perfect spot to relax, unwind and retreat.
San Camp Rates, Activities & Amenities
|2021||20 December - 09 January 2022||–||US $ 1595|
|2022||01 April - 31 May, 01 November - 19 December||–||US $ 1595|
|2022||01 June - 30 June, 01 September - 31 October, 20 December - 09 January 2023||–||US $ 1695|
|2022||01 July - 31 August||–||US $ 1920|
Rates are Per Person Per Night unless otherwise specified.
San Camp rates include: accommodation, all meals, & beverages, guest laundry, daily activities, expert guiding, park entry fees & VAT.
Rates Exclude: Premium brand drinks, gratuities and fully comprehensive personal travel insurance is not included in the price.
Children of all ages are welcome at San Camp.
Hiking / Trekking
San Camp, Makgadigadi Salt Pans, Botswana
Read San Camp Reviews TripAdvisor Here
Recommended Camps Nearby
View all accommodation options in Botswana »