Ol Malo, Laikipia, Kenya
A Luxury Lodge or Hotel in Kenya
Per Person Per Night
A member of the
Bush and Beyond
Situated on the northern edge of the Laikipia plateau, Ol Malo is nestled into a rugged escarpment looking out across the time-honored lands of Kenya’s Northern Frontier District. These miles of dense thorn bush are favoured by the shy, elusive antelope from which the lodge takes its name, “the place of the Greater Kudu”. An ancient land inhabited by wildlife and peoples of a time long ago, undisturbed and living by the rhythm of nature and as part of this untamed and beautiful landscape is Ol Malo.
Ol Malo is a striking building in an outstanding location – natural local materials sculpted into a warm and hospitable lodge set among the curves of a rocky hillside surveying one of the great views of the world.
Comfortable and accommodating sitting and dining rooms provide shady terraces for protection from the sun – and open fireplaces for the cooler evenings. Smooth lawns and carefully tended shrubberies sweep down to a cliff edge, providing a vantage point for activity at the watering hole and salt lick below. A maze of slated pathways wind down to four rock and olive wood cottages.
Each double room has its own veranda and complete privacy. Large picture windows frame a wild, constantly changing landscape – clouds scud across the sky, stately eagles wheel and glide on thermals above the plains. An infinity pool adds to the beauty as well as the amenity of this place.
Built, owned and managed by Colin and Rocky Francombe, with the help of the Samburu people, Ol Malo has established a reputation in the world of eco-tourism that far exceeds its modest size and is a result of the Francombe family’s commitment to personal service and attention to detail. For just a handful of guests at a time, Ol Malo offers the perfect mix of comfort, luxury and life in harmony with nature.
WHY CHOOSE OL MALO?
- Wake up to see the awe inspiring sunrise, framing the snow-capped peaks of Mt. Kenya. Celebrate the new day with a dawn ride into the wilderness to view the animals as they awake.
- Visit the colorful Samburu nomads of the North and sink with the dying sun into the waters of the pool.
- At night luxuriate in the peace and comfort of Ol Malo and tune into the magical sounds of wild Africa while dining under an ancient starscape.
- To stay at Ol Malo is to abandon oneself and live by another drumbeat in a wild and beautiful land.
- Go horse or camel riding on the plains – a wonderful way to see the game, which won’t flee from horses and camels: you get very close to the action indeed.
Ol Malo Rates, Activities & Amenities
|2019||07 Jan - 31 March; June; 16 Sept - 31 Oct '19; 01-19 Dec '19||–||US $ 835|
|2019||July; August; 1st-15 Sept '19; 20 Dec - 05 Jan '20||–||US $ 975|
|2020||6 Jan – 31 Mar, June, 16 Sep - 31 Oct, 1 - 19 Dec 2020||–||US $ 930|
|2020||Jul, Aug, 1-15 Sept, 20 Dec 2020 - 5 Jan 2021||–||US $ 1075|
Rates are Per Person Per Night unless otherwise specified.
Ol Malo rates include include: Full board accommodation, conservancy fees, soft drinks, beer, non-premium wines, laundry, Ol Malo airstrip transfers, activities as shown and statutory taxes.
Children of any age are welcome but more suitable for 5 years and over.
Hiking / Trekking
Ol Malo Lodge, Laikipia County, Kenya
Recommended Camps Nearby
View all accommodation options in Kenya »