Let’s Go to Mozambique in July 2022 (only 1 spot left!)
A Scheduled Trip to Mozambique
Hello Trail Blazers,
It is with much excitement that we bring this journey to you – a true conservation safari that will lead you through some of the least-trodden parts of Africa. This is a safari that tries to look into the heart and soul of wild Mozambique – a country that is figuratively just a stone’s throw away from well-known South Africa, but one that is still shrouded in mystery – a land where wilderness & wildlife have recently been rising from the ashes like so many phoenixes.
After a very rough year that has been dominated by a virus, perhaps it will do us good to focus on uplifting stories for a change. Both Gorongosa and Niassa belong to the category of hopeful stories – of parks and game reserves that have been brought back from the brink of annihilation through the courage, foresight and commitment of a community of dedicated people, who have banded together to preserve and sustain some of the most important eco- systems and conservation corridors of Africa. This safari will be the first time that I too set foot on Mozambican soil (unless you count the 3 steps I sneakily took across an opening in a rusty old fence along the Mozambique-Gonarezhou border!)
I look forward to having you join me on this exciting trip -we are so fortunate to do this!
Scheduled group tour from
July 7, 2022 - July 20, 2022
per person sharing
14 days / 13 nights
Mobile Tented Camps
Gorongosa National Park, Niassa National Reserve
About this Safari
Fraser is an excellent naturalist, guide and explorer. He has spent the last 28 years leading wildlife, photographic and birding expeditions across the length and breadth of Africa, Madagascar, Middle East, Asia and into the neotropics. Fraser’s interests and skills are as diverse as his explorations. He is a passionate birder, tracker, botanist and wildlife enthusiast, Fraser has a great love of the planet’s wildest places and the adventure that comes with exploring these regions. Fraser is at his happiest when in the thick of things on foot in the African savanna, on a remote sea kayak expedition with his wife and best friend Sandra, or deep in a steamy jungle seeking out avian wonders. A sensitive and caring tour leader, a wonderful teacher with a passion for nature, a wicked sense of humor, a repertoire of incredible tales of challenge and a sharp intellect combine to make Fraser the exceptional expedition leader he is today.
Fraser has an intimate understanding of both Gorongosa and Niassa. For two years he was responsible for developing the tourism activities and training guides for Gorongosa National Park. During this time he worked closely with the restoration project team and supported or participated in conservation, monitoring and biodiversity surveys. Fraser first visited Niassa nearly twenty years ago. After successfully running some of the first safaris to this remote area he has now partnered with the Niassa Carnivore Project to guide their donor and special safaris supporting the “Conservation Tourism” model.
• Wilderness camping
• Canoe & Mekoro trails
• Day and night game drives
• Track wildlife on foot with expert guides
• Behind the scenes tours of conservation in action
• Visit the project partners to gain insight into how people are living with and helping to
This incredible adventure safari takes us to two of Mozambique’s premier protected areas. Gorongosa National Park and Niassa National Reserve. Our hosts in both areas are the conservation organizations themselves ensuring that a significant part of the cost of this trip is ploughed directly back into conservation and communities. This is conservation tourism. Expertly guided throughout, we will enjoy phenomenal biodiversity, wonderful wilderness, spectacular landscapes, and inspirational insight into the important work of our conservation partners.
We are not accepting new enquiries at the moment!
Day By Day Itinerary
7 July , 2022: Flight Johannesburg – Beira, charter flight from Beira to Gorongosa NP
– Fly from Johannesburg to Beira (own arrangement)
– Charter flight Beira to Gorongosa
– Evening game drive
– Overnight at Montebelo Gorongosa Lodge and Safaris
8 July 2022 - Gorongosa National Park
– Morning game drive exploring Gorongosa
– Visit to the EO Wilson lab and lunch at Montebelo Lodge
– After lunch depart for 3 nights flycamping in a wild part of Gorongosa
– Overnight fly camp.
9 & 10 July 2022 - Boating and Exploration
– Our time at the fly camp will be spent on walking and vehicle-based exploration of the
park. If water levels allow, we will also do canoe and / or boating activities on the
Pungwe River or Lake Urema.
– Overnight Flycamp
11 July 2022 - Montebelo
– After morning activity we will head back to main base at Montebelo to freshen up and enjoy the facilities and lunch.
– Overnight Montebelo
12 July 2022 - Mount Gorongosa
– Full day visit to Mount Gorongosa, villages, coffee farm and forest. This unique project
aims to halt deforestation and assist in reforesting the mountain whilst creating economic activity for the people who live on the mountain.
– Overnight at Montebelo Gorongosa Lodge and Safaris
13 July 2022 - Charter Flight from Gorongosa to Niassa
– Charter flight from Gorongosa to Beira
– Scheduled flight from Beira to Nampula
– Charter flight from Nampula to Mariri – L5 South Concession in Niassa National Reserve
– Overnight at Mpopo Camp
14 - 19 July 2022 - Niassa National Reserve
– Our days in Niassa will be filled with a great diversity of activities. We will do a lot of walking exploring the fantastic landscapes and in search of the resident wildlife. We will use the game drive vehicle to access more distant areas and for regular, productive night drives.
– We will visit the Mariri environmental centre for a “behind the scenes” experience of the
day-to-day conservation efforts, community programs and research activities.
– We will spend at least 2 nights camping along and canoeing the Lugenda river. This
experience is water level dependent but should be great in July.
– Fly camping in remote locations
– Village visit
20 July 2022 - Departure
– Morning activity
– Charter flight from Mariri to Nampula
– International departure from Nampula for your flight home.
The cost of this trip is USD 16,250 per person. There is no supplement for a single room ,
nor any reduction for a shared room. 30% due at confirmation, balance in April 2022.
Contact us for inclusions and exclusions.
Let's go to Mozambique Map
Best Time to Visit
The safari begins and ends in Johannesburg, South Africa.