Lewa Borana Conservation Safari, Kenya – February 24 to March 4, 2018
A Scheduled Trip to Kenya
For the second year running, the famous Lewa-Borana Wildlife Conservancy in Northern Kenya is inviting guests to actively participate in their invaluable wildlife conservation efforts.
Scheduled group tour from
February 24, 2018 - March 4, 2018
per person sharing
7 days / 6 nights
About this Safari
For one week commencing February 24th 2018, guests can be part of the ranger team helping to track, locate and count game species for the annual Big 5 wildlife census.
Guests will also take part in several other conservation activities during their safari as well as enjoy the luxuries of three fantastic and high-end African safari lodges: The Emakoko, Lewa Wilderness and Borana. This year Sacha Craig will be hosting the safari and there is an optional 4 day extension to Manda Bay, to partake in some invaluable marine conservation activities. Guests can also enjoy exploring Lamu old town and the endless water sports at Manda Bay. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to witness and partake in the behind the scenes action, and make a difference while on safari.
Day By Day Itinerary
Day by Day Itinerary - Lewa Borana Conservation Safari
- Fly to Kenya arriving 24th February 2018
- Two nights at The Emakoko, Nairobi
- 26th March: Fly to Lewa from Wilson Airport
- 26, 27, 28th February: Three nights at Lewa Wilderness
- 1st March: Road transfer to Borana Lodge
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd March: Three nights at Borana Lodge
- 4th March: Fly to Nairobi Wilson
- Day room at The Emakoko.
Optional Extension in Lamu
- 4th March connecting flight to Lamu, Manda Bay
- 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th March: Four nights at Manda Bay
- 8th March: Fly to Nairobi. Day room at The Emakoko
- Type: Boutique Lodge or Hotel
- Location: Nairobi, Nairobi National Park
- Type: Luxury Lodge or Hotel
- Location: Borana Conservancy, Laikipia
- Type: Luxury Lodge or Hotel
- Location: Laikipia, Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
Conservation Activities at The Emakoko, Nairobi
Conservation Activities in the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy
- Tour the radio operations room
- Take part in the tracker dogs demonstration
- See the revolutionary elephant corridor in action
- Learn about the Lewa Education Programme & visit the local schools
- Visit the Conservation Education Centre
- Take part in the annual Lewa/Borana Game Census
- Assist with community programmes such as healthcare
Conservation Activities in the Borana Conservancy
- Join Borana’s chief conservation officer on his ranger deployments and gathering intelligence reports
- Attend a lecture by Michael Dyer (MD of the Borana Conservancy)
- Monitor and track rhino and lion with telemetry receivers
- Head out with one of the scouts on foot to track and ID rhino using ear notch diagrams
- Track lion using the whisker spot ID method
- Visit the Permaculture farm and ‘Well Hung’ butchery with Jack and Llewellyn Dyer
- Cultural visit to meet the local Maasai communities
Conservation Activities in Manda Bay
- Two days with the Lamu Marine Conservation Trust learning about the Manda Toto snorkelling site in the vicinity of Pate Island, significant for its marine biodiversity and distinct coral reef ecosystem hosting a variety of tropical fish. Learn how they keep it a ‘net free zone’ through education to local residents and beach management units.
- Join Manda’s rangers and volunteers to patrol and collect information daily to report on fishing movements.
- Manda supports The Northern Rangelands Trust which is actively setting up conservancies and community projects within the Lamu Region. Since setting aside a conservation area behind the lodge ten years ago, a resident herd of buffalo have moved in which are fed from the lodge.
Costs of the Safari
Lewa Borana Conservation Safari Map
The Emakoko, Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
Lewa Wilderness, Meru County, Kenya
Borana Lodge, Laikipia County, Kenya
Manda Bay Lodge, Lamu, Kenya
Best Time to Visit
This is a fly-in conservation safari beginning and ending in Nairobi. All internal flights are included in the cost.